I recently gave a presentation at the PromaxBDA Europe Conference, which is the largest gathering of marketing, promotion and design professionals in European television and entertainment media. I was there for Appsterdam to talk about the “best, most innovative and breakthrough applications of the last 12 months.”
Among many other things, people in the PromaxBDA community make a lot of cool promos as part of their work. So to try to speak their language, we put together some videos of our own for the app reviews. The guys from One More Thing provided the on-air commentary. They usually do their live streaming broadcasts in Dutch, but they did these special videos in English just for us. Thanks Jesse, Jan David, and Koen!
Many thanks also to MediaMonks who provided the final editing of the videos.
I hand-picked this group of 18 apps over 10 categories for the conference presentation–apps that have either launched or exploded in buzz and exposure over the past 12 months.
Of course there are many other great apps out there. We want to do more Appsterdam/One More Thing reviews in the future, so please add your suggestions in the comments.
Below are the reviews. Enjoy!
Photo and Video
- Vyclone automatically makes an edited 4-camera movie that you can then share with the community.
- Scoopshot is a professional version of the citizen journalist apps out there.
Design and Creativity
- Paper is so successful because of its simplicity, elegance, and how much of a pleasure it is to use.
- POP is a tool for making an interactive wireframe for your app using paper drawings.
- Syncpad allows brainstorming on a whiteboard, even if everyone is in a different location.
- Clear “has no interface” and uses only simple, intuitive gestures for your to-dos.
Vine is the Twitter for video that lets you capture and share short looping videos of 6 seconds or less.
- Stevie pulls videos from your friends’ social media feeds and presents them to you in a “lean-back” experience.
- Snagfilms lets you watch films and shorts for free on your iPad. They have more than 3,000 items in their library–you only have to watch an ad first.
Blippar has a special system for brands to use for building their augmented reality experiences.
- Figure makes a musician out of everyone, with a unique but intuitive interface.
- Nodebeat helps you make dreamy songs by pulling “nodes” into the field.
- 22tracks is a streaming music app with curated playlists from well-known DJs from Amsterdam, Paris, London, and Brussels.
News and Inspiration
- Flipboard pulls your news feeds into a unique but intuitive interface that invites browsing and exploring.
- Prismatic figures out what news you’re interested in by looking at your existing social media, music libraries, and whatever else it can find.
- Walkers Kill Count for The Walking Dead TV series syncs with episodes and makes a game out of predicting the zombie kills.
- American Idol is about the community around the TV show and keeping the experience going between episodes.
One More Thing
TshirtOS is a concept in beta. It’s a programmable t-shirt controlled by an app.